Katy Allen: An Aspiring Actress

"I remember being like 3, and maybe I was older than that, but I remember being a little girl and watching Shirley Temple and being obsessed with her --- she could sing and tap and and act. I wanted to be like her, except I couldn't sing. "So, I did the dancing and acting." - Arkansas Life Magazine
"I continued that path in high school and collage, and it is a dream I've had all my life."
"She has that ability to draw people to her - she is the one of those people who just draws your attention when she comes into the room" - Rex Austin Barrow
 "She has things she's passionate about. She will start doing those things. I believe in her just like she believes in me." - Kris Allen
Another question was whether there was a job for Katy in Allen's entourage.
"She has things she's passionate about," he replied. "She will start doing those things. I believe in her just like she believes in me." - Kris Allen

...And although her husband is the current performer, Katy also has had dreams of being in the spotlight. "I remember being like 3, and maybe I was older than that, but I remember being a little girl and watching Shirley Temple and being obsessed with her - she could sing and tap and and act. I wanted to be like her, except I couldn't sing. "So, I did the dancing and acting."

Her first role - when she performed at Arkansas Arts Center (Little Rock) - was Susan in a production of Romana The Pest. "That was one of my favorite childhood memories," she said."My mom would put those really big curlers in my hair so I would have ringlet curls just like the character." Katy also performed in Children Theater plays, How To Eat Fried Worms, when she was in fourth or fifth grade. " The main character in the book swings out in a swing over the audience, and that's what Katy's role was. She started the play by swinging out over the audience. It was exhilarating," Peggy recalls.

Peggy says when Katy was in high school, "she begged us to let her go to a university in New York to study acting." Katy's mother says they put Katy off, saying, 'Oh, don't you want to do acting after you do some other career field with more stability?" Yes, she decided to follow her mother advise but she didn't stop trying, "I continued that path in high school and collage, and it is a dream I've had all my life."

Katy says her favorite role was in a production called Zastrozzi The Master of Discipline at the University of Arkansas, "because it was really dark and twisted story. I thought it was to get to be something that was so obviously not how I am in real life. I liked challenge."

Her director in that production, Rex Austin, who taught theater this past year at a private collage in Georgia, says being the American Idol's wife might get her into auditions, but her talent will do the rest. "She has kind of natural talent for it and a knack for it; it's kind of hard to find," says Barrow, who previously lived in Los Angeles and acted in theater and film.

"She has that ability to draw people to her - she is the one of those people who just draws your attention when she comes into the room." Barrow says Katy was unique in that she was "love interest" "She was great in it," Barrow says, easier to direct than some of the student who had take acting classes. "She was willing to try anything. She was in a choreographed fight with one of the other girls - a knife fight - she did very, very well, and I was surprised."

Check out another photo from that performance,





More from another performance for AOII event:




PHOTOSHOOT
Here is a sneak peak of Katy Allen’s photo shoot. Katy had the fabulous Beth Wilson styling as well as her entourage so the group  made for a lot of fun. Got some great shots that I think will give Katy a nice kick start in her acting endeavors. Thank you to Ben for letting us use his studio last minute as we got rained/clouded out of our outdoor shoot.  Katy has a great personality and is naturally entertaining. I have a feeling she will do great in LA!






Are the acting rumors true or just rumors?
Those rumors are true. I recently signed with an agent and have tried out for a couple of films. I haven't gotten anything yet, but I'm still auditioning. I also study with a really good teacher out here that I love. I'm finished with Bloodstone, but I think it's still in post production. - Interview with AINow
Katy joined the Lesly Kahn & Co. Submissions, an Professional Actor Training in Los Angeles, California.

They said her forte is...
"Ginifer Goodwin meets Reese Witherspoon wrapped up in a blonde, doe-eyed package.




From first twitter party, one of the audition...
Staying in LA to audition RT @snapcracklypop: @katyallen Are you going overseas with Kris for his shows or are you staying here in LA?
Anything my agent gets me :) it's pilot season RT @Mika4Realzzz: @katyallen audition for what??


Katy keeps continue pursuing her dream to date by working with the local filmmakers community based in Arkansas that really have the goods to become bigger, LET’S THINK production owned by Gerry Bruno. She been featured as a nun in Fortunate, that received 8 nominations winning 4 of them including the top prize of BEST FILM in the Little Rock 48 Hour Film Festival 2009. She got the spotlight as Bettie Lawrance in their next project, the sci-fi/fantasy web series called The Bloodstone Diaries.

Gerry Bruno, the director, states that he wasn’t aware of her connection to the Idol winner because at the time he had only been living in Arkansas for about a year. He met Allen and another local “celebrity,” Patrick Beam, aka Patrick the Angry Viewer, who also makes an appearance in the webisode, through a fellow filmmaker. “After we won the 48-hour film festival, David and I were champing at the bit to shoot something else and started looking for our Bettie again,” he said. “Katy asked if we had any projects going on and we thought ... there’s our Bettie.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up